Monday, November 9, 2009

Busy Weekend!!!

I had such a busy weekend... Friday afternoon, I got off work early and worked on Tomi's cake for Connie... I remember her sending me a message asking if I can do a camouflage cake. Okay. I thought I would just get a camo ribbon and tying it around a green cake... then I started searching online and learned how to do a camo pattern with buttercream... Remember the orange flower cake (last September?) I practiced with the leftover buttercream until I got the hang of it... and have learned since then how to smooth buttercream. Tomi had also asked if I can put Jackson's name on it somewhere and a lightbulb moment came to me... Dogtag!!! So here's the finished product... I also made green cupcakes to match (but forgot to take a picture of!)





Then Friday night, after dinner, I tackled another cake... staying up till 3am because I underestimated the time it took to roll out 48 rolled stripes... It was such a simple cake but with cakes "Simple" is never really simple. Its actually more complicated and difficult. You see with a "simple cake" you can't hide much with decorations... your fondant or buttercream need to be perfect... as you can see with the dent in the front of the cake... I thought about using a photo editing software to hide that blemish, but I decided against it, because I'm not trying to be perfect here... its a hobby! :)


Then Saturday night I worked on Jazmine's cake. See, Jazmine is this really cool teenager and did not want the typical Sweet 16 cake. So, with a nod to her heritage, and with her birthday being so close to Dia de los Muertos/Day of the Dead/All Souls Day, she asked for a sugar skull cake. (Yes, I had to google/wiki sugar skulls because I had no idea what it was at first!) Thanks Jaz for letting me do something really unique! :)





No comments:

Post a Comment