Other people's achievements usually motivate me. I'm not one to be jealous because I understand everyone is different. Their goals, their successes, their struggles, their journey. But last night, I watched an older lady bang out power cleans at 55 lbs while I struggled to even lift it up. My husband used 145lb for his power cleans and I can't even do these measly 55lbs? My ego and my head started to mess with me. She's older. Other people came into my attention. She started Crossfit only 2 months ago and she's already done! That person is lifting 85lbs and she's one round ahead of me already? Pride and ego enveloped my head and I started to doubt that I can even finish the WOD within the time limit. I had to say a quick prayer with a confession about jealousy in the middle of the WOD. Cleared my head, focused on the wall in front of me and did not think. Then I just got it done. Barely.
Hey! It's a metaphor!
We get so caught up other people's successes or what they are doing that we don't put the 100% focus and effort on what we should be doing. We start to compare ourselves with others. The crafty moms made the Pinterest-treats for a classroom party, or the mom that ran a marathon last weekend, or the mom that got some sleep last night. The mom that is home with the kids or the mom that works outside the home. The dad that can fix all cars or computers or coach little league. The coworker that got promoted or your friend that can work his own hours vs. your 9-5.
Maybe it's just me.
You know how if you're at the mall, and you see a cool window display and fixate on that while walking? Eventually, you'll walk in a slight curve or if you're like me, run into a wall? That's my goal... is to just focus on my own journey. Not my husband's. Not my friends'. Not someone else's. My own.
No comments:
Post a Comment