Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Monster Truck Cake and Golf Cupcakes

A friend asked me to do a cake for her son. I asked her what he likes and she replied: "Baseball or Monster Trucks, he can't decide yet." So I'm praying, "Please say baseball, say baseball."
The next day, he had decided on a monster truck. Grave Digger, specifically. I have no idea what Grave Digger looked like or what I'm supposed to do... so after a couple days researching Grave Digger and cakes, I decided to try a 3D cake.


I started off with freezing the cake, and little by little I cut off piece by piece. After carving, I filled between the cakes and frosted with buttercream. I used pre-made black fondant (Satin Ice) and found that it was just enough to cover the cake. The green fondant flames are a pain in the butt to put on. There were moments that I had to walk away from the cake because the flames definitely tested my patience. In hindsight, I think the truck was a little on the fat side. The donut wheels barely fit in the box I had prepared for transporting the cake. But overall, I think the cake went well.



I also made golf cupcakes for another birthday. It was the first time I used a grass tip. I need to practice my grass frosting.


No comments:

Post a Comment