Thursday, June 18, 2009

cakes of the past and present

I made my 1st wedding cake when I was only 16. I stayed up all night baking cakes, rolling fondant, throwing away a cake, rebaking, frosting, and hiding flaws with coconut. I unfortunately do not have a picture of that, I don't even remember who I baked it for. I don't have any pictures of any cakes I did before digital cameras became the norm. I've decorated cakes sporatically in the next 12 years, but I renewed my interest in cake decorating the just in the past 2 years.

Anyway, without further ado, here are the cakes that I have done the past 2 years. Forgive me, facebookers, for the redundancy of the pictures. I have several people asking me to blog about it and are not on FB. (bear with me with the sucky camera and my cell phone camera)

Laycee's 1st birthday cupcake + smash cake. with chocolate paw prints and bone-shaped confetti



Chamryn's 1st Birthday cake [May 2008] with pink and green frosting with hibiscus picks and matching smash cake.

Spongebob cake for Laycee (a friend's daughter) [Dec 2008] -- I totally suck at buttercream frosting decoration and lettering! I need to take Wilton cake decorating classes!


Cupcake Elmo cake for Alix (another friend's daughter) [Dec 2008]--do you know how hard it is to make a red frosting totally RED? Pat made 4 trips to Michaels for me... eventually spraying everything with the food coloring spray to make it really red. (see the overspray on the cake plate)

Wedding cupcake for my sister-in-law's friend, May 2009

Yo Gabba Gabba Cake for Xander, Grayson and Chamryn's 2nd birthday party. The party was featured on the Gabbafriends.com (a Yo Gabba Gabba fan blog) here.

Fondant shoes (to match real baby shoes) for Kim's baby shower

Kim's baby shower cake [May 2009] -- I have to say by this point, I am loving fondant!

Chamryn's 2nd Birthday Party [May 2009] -- my first attempt at a topsy turvy cake


Cake Pops and Marshmallow Pops (inspired by Bakerella) for Chamryn's party

USA cake [June 2009] -- made for my mom's neighbor, Monica, who recently became US citizen!




Topsy-Turvy cake attempt #2 -- For Janet's sister's birthday. It got a lot of "Is it supposed to look like that?" comments, apparently, some Indiana have not gotten caught up in the Ace of Cake bandwagon... yet. :)
I'm making a Wizard of Oz as gift next week. I can't wait!

I'm sure Patrick can, since he gets stuck helping with clean-up after every. single. cake.
(I love you, babe!)




No comments:

Post a Comment